Football
Delay of Game: A penalty enforced by the officials that the ball must be snapped within a small amount of time between each play. This was done to prevent teams from making excuses to let the clock run while they're winning. Common ones were "I forgot the play," "I thought I saw the coach wave me to the bench," "I needed a quick drink of water," ect. The rule was put in place after the famous 1927 SnackShack Incident, where the entire Chicago Cardinals team left the game to buy hot dogs and sodas while ahead by a field goal in the mid-4th quarter.
Bowl Games: A part of the college football post-season, where corperate sponsors of NCAA football host games after the regular season. Although bowl games have been a long standing tradition of college football, it got its name durring the Great Depression, when sponsors couldn't afford to buy custom trophies or plaques to award the winners. Instead, victorious teams were rewarded with customized cereal bowls, distributed to each member of the team.
Bowl Games: A part of the college football post-season, where corperate sponsors of NCAA football host games after the regular season. Although bowl games have been a long standing tradition of college football, it got its name durring the Great Depression, when sponsors couldn't afford to buy custom trophies or plaques to award the winners. Instead, victorious teams were rewarded with customized cereal bowls, distributed to each member of the team.

<< Home